Batuq 2019 Blanco Tasting Notes
- Location: San Pedro de la Cueva, Sonora
- Agave: A. Yaquiana (Pacifica) – A. angustifolia ?
- Maestro Mezcalero: Rafael Quijada
- ABV: 44%
- Tasting keywords: Pickled jalapeño, Aleppo pepper
- NOM: 168
- Buy it today (see purchase options at bottom of this article)
Sweet water, it’s so clean, bright and fresh.
A big fiery cut of a mezcal. Full of salt, black pepper, and Aleppo pepper. It is fiery, complemented by a rich brininess and leaves a lasting impression of lactic jalapeño.
Method / Background Notes
This is a great opportunity for vintage comparisons because the 2018 and 2019 Batuq are both on the market. They’re made by the same person with agaves from the same estate so these two bottles give you a fantastic sense for a Rafael Quijada’s style and the role that the Yaquiana agave and environmental differences play in the resulting mezcal. I’m looking forward to more comparisons like these which tease out the subtle and dramatic.